Monday 30 March 2009

Back to work.

Before I had time to enjoy my weekend it was already over!
I am getting in need of a break.
I have have had an issue with Mondays ever since I was a very young child and I think its fair to say that I was never the first child into the school grounds on a Monday morning.
This unfortunately has followed me into my adult years and unless there is a really cushy job to go and start the week with, then Mondays can be a real drag.
Today was a little different though as my dad was supposed to be going away on the helicopter on the first flight.
So I was up early at 7 to get some breakfast and head off to take my dad up to the airport.
On arrival it turned out that the helicopter had a technical problem and wasn't flying until further notice.
So I took dad home and awaited further information.
I then took the boys to school and somehow we ended up being late to school by a minute or so, not too sure why....
Then it was off to work and today's job was at the Bylet Guesthouse where I had to do a hallway,bedroom and toilet in carpet.
The job was to take me all day, with a few distractions such as ferrying my dad up to the airport once more to find out that they still weren't flying and take him home again ( we cancelled the whole thing after that)
And also I picked up one of my little skiffs that had been moved in yesterdays clean up of the slipway area at Old Town.
After finishing at the Bylet I had a couple of calls to make and then it was home for tea.
The day was a rather grey affair offering little in the way of photography, but I did spot a Gibsons photo on the wall at the Bylet that I photographed and had tried to replicate again today.
Old photo is copyrighted by Gibsons of Scilly and I thank you for the use of the image.
I think that the original must have been taken way back in the 1800's probably between 1860 and 1880 or so.
Not sure exactly but the quay is not at its full length so must have been along time ago...
The original is hard to replicate exactly as the position of the photographer in the 1800's was inaccessible to me today, with it being somebodies' garden now! Mrs Wilsons garden to be precise!
And that was Monday, tomorrow sees me returning to St Martins but only to do 2 bedrooms so I should be home for around lunchtime and be able to continue with my St Marys work.

2 comments:

  1. Morning George,

    Love the old pic, I thought of doing something similar with a fantastic picture taken over a hundred years ago up here at Arnish on my croft but the owner would not let me use the image! How sad is that? you'd think she'd be glad of the advertising as it was on a postcard.

    Cheers, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul.
    Well to be honest I haven't asked permission to use the pic as there was no indentification on the picture.
    It was hanging on a wall there in the guesthouse.
    I imagine it is a Gibsons pic as no-one else really documented the islands back then, but I'm not sure who took it so have just taken the chance.

    ReplyDelete