Wednesday 28 October 2009

A drive around the Roseland Peninsula 20th September 09

One fine day in september I went for a drive around around the Roseland Peninsula hoping to see St Just in Roseland, St Mawes, Gerrans and Portscatho.
I did just that and more.
The day was about as good as it gets in September and although there were some threatening large clouds early on the day stayed dry and eventually all the clouds moved away leaving a very pleasant sunny day.
This area of Cornwall is particularly beautiful and I will return here for sure for a more in depth look at the entire area.
I took the King Harry Ferry across the River Fal a short enjoyable trip, with it being a Sunday there was no queues to speak of and headed to St Just in Roseland.


















St Just in Roseland is a very pretty and quiet place to visit, the tide was out while I was there but it was still very pretty nonetheless, after a quick look around I headed off to St Mawes in search of lunch.


















St Mawes is also a beautiful place to visit however it is quite pricy if you are looking for a cheap sandwich to have for lunch, I had a good search through the town and all the places that provided seating were quite expensive.
I found a small takeaway establishment that was looking the best bet, so got a bite to eat from there and wandered down to the end of the quay to enjoy lunch and the view.

In some ways St Mawes reminds me of Scilly,it is quite remote and has a frequent ferry that runs to Falmouth every half an hour, the remoteness is what leads to the higher prices in the town no doubt...










One of the St Mawes ferries..














A family of swans at the beach in St Mawes.












A view across to Mylor from the road to Portscatho.















St Mawes Castle











I decided to head out through Gerrans to St Anthony Head, I have never been here before and took some time to take in the magnificent views of the Fal Estuary and beyond.




St Anthony Head lighthouse is an imposing building which is well placed to warn ships away from its headland and mark the entrance to the Fal estuary.
The headland also has some embattlements that date from around 1900 that are almost identical to the type found on St Marys on the Garrison.
Some of the officers quarters  are now used by the National Trust for holiday letting.

























Great Molunan Beach just inside St Anthonys Head











The Headland to the east of St Anthony head.










Portscatho.












A very pretty little fishing village, there was a good feel of community here and this whole area I felt most welcome wherever I stopped.
Something that I take for granted on Scilly but is sometimes lost on the mainland, particularl in the larger towns.
This is a great place to come and get away from it all.






Nare Head.
















Pendower Beach









Looking back to Portscatho across the bay.















I went back through Veryan on the way back to the King Harry Ferry, a pretty little town that needs more time for me to return to...







Nearly home and this view of the sunset was too good to miss!
The view is the back of Carn Brea with the monument visible to the right of the picture,
Ending a lovely day and one that has made me want to return to this area to explore fully.

1 comment: